[WikiEN-l] Daily Mail article on Sam Blacketer case

Andrew Turvey andrewrturvey at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:49:32 UTC 2009

I can't speak for the Foundation, but I assure you that we at Wikimedia UK are doing our best to defend and promote the Wikimedia projects against all unfair criticism, including these articles.

Personally, I thought the article would have been worse if it had omitted the paragraph from Wikimedia UK - the damage was done in the rest of the article which was largely derived from other sources.At least they gave us an opportunity to say how we were responding.

As I said before, I think the main damage has come from a trusted user who has deceived the community over a number of years and from our controls which were completely inadequate to deal with this. Our credibility and reputation would be easier to defend if we could show that we were actually doing something to improve these controls.

I've opened a discussion at [1] - please add you comments there.

Regards,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Guide_to_requests_for_adminship#Sockpuppet