[WikiEN-l] A modest proposal - a recap of resolution-l

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:03:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, there is something in the original proposal that makes sense to me --
> devoting specific attention to long-term facilitation of discussion and
> resolution of difficult issues.  There is something about wiki-time (to
> borrow a term) that discourages measured discussion over time - if you miss
> the flashpoint discussion that sets a precedent, people may have moved on
> and you'll have to restart the original interest again.

Hm. Yeah, to summarise your concept and mine in the most plain and
non-controversial terms possible - I'm looking at it simply as a way
of looking at DR on en.wiki in a new dimension.

Yes, the technology is forty years old.. but it still apparently
suffices for about a hundred other projects and project aspects. Yes,
its not ideal to separate discussions or to move on-wiki matters to
the mailing list... but what is ideal, and what works for wikien-l and
others could at least work for us.

> I think the list-vs-wiki distinction is a red herring -- I'd like to see
> list-to-wiki synchronization so that we never have to have that discussion
> again -- so to keep things simple, let's imagine what this would look like
> on-wiki.

I actually just filed a bug to start use markup conversion on [[wiki
link]]s in wikien posts. Should work at least on the web archives, and
perhaps anyone who gets the HTML version. Still sort of like the
google waves idea - though it does look a bit overkill for us here.

> Sam had a good idea in this direction : [[Wikipedia:Community Facilitation]]
> .  It's about something more specific than dispute resolution in general,
> but may be a useful part of what you have in mind, steve.  And the idea
> would be both to discuss [potentially long-term] facilitation, help people
> get better at it, and practice it in the context of specific issues.

I like it already, and I haven't even looked at it yet.

-Stevertigo