[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sat Jul 25 19:00:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, David Gerard wrote:
> My point is that despite media publicity about "deletionists" and
> people on the fringes of Wikipedia getting annoyed at not being
> considered article-worthy ... we still include a wider range of stuff
> than (I think) any general encyclopedia ever before us, and no-one can
> seriously question that. And we do so to actual standards.

It's possible to be wider in some areas and narrower in others; even to be
narrower overall with a few specific exceptions.

I'm inclined to say that the article on Obama's dog is an exception, not the
rule.  It's not part of a large category (webcomics, episode articles, etc.)
that deletionists like to delete en masse.  Also, since it's related to Obama,
it's going to be preserved by Obama fans, and we've got lots of those who are
already watching the Obama-related articles.