[WikiEN-l] admins blocking but refusing to justify which policy orguideline applies

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:05:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM, R E
Broadley<rebroad+wikimedia.org at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given that admins are supposed to follow wikipedia policy (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:ADMINABUSE#Administrator_conduct),
> I'd suggest that it the admins who have failed to do this that are the
> liability to the project. I am very concerned that many seem to get away
> with flouting policy, and it seems very rare that admin access is taken away
> from admins that do this.
> I believe my edits speak for themselves as to why I am an asset to the
> project, and also the fact that I follow Wikipedia's policies, as well as
> contribute to a wide range of articles.
>
> Regards,
> Ed
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 10:26 AM, R E
>> Broadley<rebroad+wikimedia.org at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > My last 2 or 3 unblock requests have explained that the procedures
>> > mentioned in the guideline were not followed, so surely the block
>> > should not stand, should it?
>>
>> I really hope there's more to your request for unblocking than "the
>> procedures...were not followed". I would focus on explaining why
>> exactly you're an asset to the project, rather than a liability.
>> Nitpicking admins won't get you far (I hope).
>>
>> Steve

I have reviewed your edits before the block, the warnings you were
given, and in my opinion the block was entirely justified.

I understand that you disagree that you're violating our policy and
being disruptive.  However, a large number of other editors and admins
find your behavior to be disruptive and violating policy.  Continuing
to insist you have done nothing wrong indicates a profound disrespect
for Wikipedia's community and our input on your behavior.  You have
been repeatedly warned, asked nicely to edit in a more friendly and
collegial manner, and yet you return to abusive behavior insisting you
have done nothing wrong.

The next step down this road is either an indefinite block by an
administrator or a community ban.  I urge you to reconsider how you
engage in Wikipedia, whether you are tempermentally suited to
participate in a collaborative community or not.  If you can still see
nothing wrong with your behavior, then I suggest you just walk away
from Wikipedia before we take actions to force you away.  If you can
understand that you're doing something wrong and work with us to try
and avoid repeating it in the future you hopefully can return to
productive editing.

The choice is up to you.  I hope that you will be mature and
responsible about this and look at your own behavior more critically.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com