[WikiEN-l] NYT: Wikipedia May Be a Font of Fac =?win...

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 20 17:57:20 UTC 2009

It has been discussed before. Can't remember where or the verdict.
Hopefully someone else will find the debate, and the latest form of
it.

OK, here are some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(proposals)/Archive_25#Photograph_attribution_in_image_captions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(proposals)/Archive_25#Remove_image_credits_from_name_space.2C_portals.2C_etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(policy)/Archive_44#Photographer_credits_in_captions

Found by using Wikipedia's internal search function. Search terms like
"image credit" and "caption credit" will find most of them. Probably
similar debates on Commons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Captions

This guideline page says (at the bottom):

Credits: "Unless relevant to the subject, do not credit the image
author or copyright holder in the article. It is assumed that this is
not necessary to fulfill attribution requirements of the GFDL or
Creative Commons licenses as long as the appropriate credit is on the
image description page."

I would suggest looking in the talk page archives for more.

Carcharoth