[WikiEN-l] NYT: Wikipedia May Be a Font of Facts, but It’s a Desert for Photos

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 14:30:00 UTC 2009

Now on the front page of Slashdot.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/07/20/0044240/Why-the-Photos-On-Wikipedia-Are-So-Bad

It's important to learn from this episode: Wikipedians nearly burned through
this opportunity.  See the Jerry Avenaim/Mark Harmon FPC debate (especially
the collapsed part).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_picture_candidates/Mark_Harmon

Although the nomination was nearly speedily closed, I noticed the
photographer was an active Wikipedian and wrote to him for a higher
resolution version.  After he supplied it some reviewers wanted to move the
goalposts beyond the official stated criteria.  It didn't look like they
recognized the significance of having a leading Hollywood portrait
photographer among our volunteers.

Was talking to Noam Cohen last week in the aftermath of the NPG threat and
told him about Jerry.  Showed him Jerry's featured picture and Commons
gallery, and Noam loved it.  Here's hoping that inspires more celebrities to
release their portraits under copyleft license, and inspires more
professional photographers to donate material to Wikipedia.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/