[WikiEN-l] Bible websites

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 05:21:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Tim Starling<tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Wikisource has a complete translation in modern English, and it
> already seems to be annotated with IDs for verses, e.g.
> <http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_(American_Standard)/John#3:16>

Hm. Of course, Tim is right - if its public/open domain then
wikisource should host it and we will then link to it. The issue with
the hebtools site/script is that most of its links go to BibleGateway.
 Obviously the current script's sources need to be changed to include
both other gateways like bible.cc and of course wikisource. A choice
of gateways would be preferable.

The current hosted translations/versions on wikisource are:
    * Bible (Wycliffe) (1380s)
    * Bible (Tyndale) (1526)
    * Douay-Rheims Bible (1610)
    * King James translation, or “Authorized Version” (1611)
    * King James translation, Oxford Standard (1769)
    * American Standard translation (1901)
    * Bible (Jewish Publication Society 1917)
    * World English translation (in progress since 1997)
    * Wikisource translation (in progress since 2006)

Note that one of the benefits of using the proprietary portals, aside
from heads-up comparison and better navigation, is that they are
licensed to publish the newer proprietary versions.  Cutting off the
proprietary portals means cutting off the proprietary translations.
The NIV for example is highly popular and referenced (among
Protestants). Hence we have to of course include but not depend on the
proprietary portals.

-Steven