No subject

Mon Jan 19 21:31:31 UTC 2009

about how dreadful the teaching of history is at the secondary school level.
 The gap between high school and undergraduate instruction is greater for
history than for any other subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies_My_Teacher_Told_Me

Wikipedia opens new possibilities for correcting that problem.

Over here it went something like this:

*When we had our revolution we got help from France.

*Then we bought the Louisiana Purchase from France, which doubled the size
of our country.  Gee, thanks.

*Then we had the War of 1812, which didn't really happen in 1812, and we
teamed up with France again.

Somewhere in there was 'Let them eat cake', a guillotine, Napoleon, and
Waterloo.  But that was all on another continent and unimportant.  As long
as we could be buddies with France whenever necessary, everything went fine.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/