[WikiEN-l] VfD against every article in Category.Outlines

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 22 23:22:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 02:38:49PM -0800, Scientia Potentia est wrote:
> The Wikiproject about it is quite new. The way I see it, topic outlines are
> more of a topical glossary that lack the subcategorizing that a regular
> category would have. They could be of some use.

The pages I familiar with here used to have names such as
[[List of basic algebra topics]]. These can be viewed in several ways:

   * As a topic glossary highlighting the most important basic topics
     in the field

   * As an extended 'see also' list that is linked from the main article
     on the field. So [[Algebra]] links to [[List of basic algebra topics]]

These lists are clearly of some value for readers who are interested in
learning the basics of a topic.  And the lists have some support among current
editors; see [[Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Topic_outline_of_algebra]] which
was closed this week.

I don't know as much about the country articles, such as [[Topic outline of France]].

 - Carl