[WikiEN-l] VfD against every article in Category.Outlines that is also in namespace 0? (aka: please stop writing another perverted encyclopedia inside wikipedia)

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Jan 22 22:59:04 UTC 2009

2009/1/22 Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com>:

> For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topic_outline_of_Algeria is
> a list of articles somehow related to Algeria. This purpose is better
> served by either [[:en:Algeria]] (with full sentences) or by
> [[:en:Category:Algeria]] (with proper software, without full
> sentences).

I'm not entirely sure it is. It can take quite a bit of digging
through the large "geographical" articles to find the sections on
economy or education or the like (especially when it turns out to be
under a confusing heading), and navigating down through the category
structure can require a bit of browsing - especially if it has several
hundred members.

These seem to be a half-useful navigational "handlist" for a user.
They're a bit clunky, but they do seem to fill a niche that might
otherwise not be served very well; I really don't see how they're some
kind of abomination that needs taken out and shot Right This Minute.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk