[WikiEN-l] Reasons I care less about Wikipedia than I used to, No. 43

Wilhelm Schnotz wilhelm at nixeagle.org
Mon Jan 19 02:51:23 UTC 2009

I'm glad you liked my link to WP:LAME.

The primary reason we cannot accept "permission" from a company is
that permission does not make that image free. (our license and
mission means we should maximize free content..., in addition we
cannot accept permission for wikimedia only as re-users (legit
mirrors) would not have that same permission)

We can use an image under fair use regardless if the publisher allows
us to do so or not. That is the point of fair use.

Of the two options you gave, only the first is possible. (remember
asking permission means they have to release under an acceptable
license, we cannot accept "wikipedia only" permissions because of
downstream users). If you think it is a good idea to leave up and see
what happens suggest that on commons.

Now I do understand that by asking, you mean asking if putting the
image on commons is ok, not if doing so under fair use is ok...
However I find it very unlikely that the company that holds the
copyrights in this case would permit any free image of spider man..
And they would have to say its ok to have under a free license for it
to be on commons.

I hope I make some sense... Feel free to *nicely* tell me if I don't. Cheers!

On 1/18/09, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/19 Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net>:
>> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, The Cunctator wrote:
>>> I think James's point is that wikilawyers have lost all perspective.
>>
>> In this case, the image actually may be unusable even under fair use.
>> It's
>> the *real* law which has lost all perspective.  We have no choice but to
>> follow it.
>
> Oh, we always have a choice. In this case, one available choice is "do
> nothing and see if they send us a C&D". Another would be to contact
> them and ask "is it OK for us to do this?".
>
> But, no. Instead we choose to make Wikipedia a marginally worse place
> to be involved.
>
> I spend a fun couple of hours reading [[WP:LAME]] (having been sent
> there by a post on this list) - I'd advise everyone else to visit it
> while it's still there.

Sent from my mobile device