[WikiEN-l] Tracking spam for fun and profit

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 18 16:26:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip spam details>

> This was on 15th December. And sure enough, if we look at the December
> statistics for that page, we find that about four hundred people
> followed the link over a couple of days:
> http://stats.grok.se/en/200811/Maria_das_Neves
>
> There's a second, smaller, spike at the end of the month; a second
> run? If we look back there's also one around November 24th, and one
> yesterday (January 17th).
>
> An entirely unexpected application of stats.grok.se, there!

<snip>

Indeed! Almost as unexpected as the application to track how many
people view deleted revisions of a deleted page. Just go to a deleted
page and plug the URL of the "viewdeleted" version for the page in
question into the stats.grok.se thingy. If non-admins can't work out
the URL, ask around and it should be simple to construct.

Carcharoth