[WikiEN-l] Interesting article on restored copyrights in US works between...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 03:56:40 UTC 2009

In a message dated 1/15/2009 7:52:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
geniice at gmail.com writes:

Against  that you have to consider that granting copyright in such
cases effectively  allows someone who can limit the physical access to
the document to enjoy  all the benefits of copyright even though they
didn't create  it.

Sometimes the access control doesn't mean much. New popular  edition
maps are cheap. So acquiring them to scan does not present a  major
problem. Older less mass produced maps? 10K+. In effect you  prevent
large parts of the public domain ever being meaningfully  PD.>>

That doesn't make sense to me.
How do you limit PD items?
How can I, direct the land office in my local county to *stop* giving  copies
to people who walk in?
I can't.

If something is PD, then there is *some* where you can go or write or call
to get a copy.

You are confusing the *creation* of an image, with the *creation* of the
original document.

What we're discussing here is limiting the use of your creation, not the
original creation.

Unless you're actually proposing that PD-item scanners are actually buying
originals and then destroying all copies of them in the world except their
own.  I really doubt that is occuring.

Will

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)