[WikiEN-l] Announcing "Epistemia", a new wiki encyclopedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 01:18:35 UTC 2009

Two questions:

1) What are you plans regarding incorporating content from other
projects? There is a good chance that Wikipedia will soon switch to a
license compatible with yours, so you could copy content across. Do
you plan to do so, and to what extent?

2) Your "About" page says:

"Other projects have attempted, and continue to attempt, to develop
free Internet encyclopedias—Wikipedia, Citizendium, Conservapedia,
Open-Site, Scholarpedia, Veropedia, and Wikinfo, to name a few—yet
have failed to produce reliable content, to attract a broad, diverse,
responsible, and democratic community, or to achieve widespread public
support."

I dispute that. Studies have shown that Wikipedia is as reliable as
conventional encyclopaedias, the wide range of subjects covered in
great depths shows we have a broad and diverse community, I haven't
seen anything to suggest the Wikipedia community is irresponsible, and
we don't try to be democratic so you're making a massive assumption
there that democracy is the best way to run such a project. As for
widespread public support, millions of dollars of donations over the
past couple of months suggests we don't have a problem there. So which
of those aspects are you suggesting Wikipedia has failed in?