[WikiEN-l] two-tiered ratings system (Was: To boldy delete what no one had deleted before!)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jan 15 18:27:05 UTC 2009

wjhonson at aol.com wrote:
> With the right hand, you rate the raters.  So each of us gets a clue
> stick and goes around whacking good editors "good rater" rate up a
> notch by voting for them as raters.
>
> With the left hand, you rate the articles, and when other editors agree
> with you, they whack you and your "good rater" score goes up.
>
> Now with the giant nose of Zenobia, you multiply the article rating by
> the raters rating, and average.
>
> Thusly and so, articles get a good rating based on the best raters
> rating them good, and nasty bad evil raters, ratings fall into the
> first circle  (i.e. they are weighted as nothing).
By rating the raters your are finding a different way of introducing the
same kind of subjectivity that we want to avoid.  Our most persistent
battles over the years at Wikipedia have been those that involve a key
subjective factor such as notability.  If we had such a concept as "good
raters" it's easy to see that the race to be "good" would yield the same
nonsense as we see at Requests for Adminship.

Ec