[WikiEN-l] two-tiered ratings system (Was: To boldy delete what no one had deleted before!)

edgarde wikipedia at surlygeek.com
Tue Jan 13 15:00:54 UTC 2009

> On Jan 13, 2009, at 12:10 AM, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
>> These sub-surface articles would not be googleable let's say, so
>> reader wouldn't get side-tracked into thinking they are
>> "acceptable" in the mainstream,

This already exists with GA/FA ratings. Creating a new public/internal
division just adds a new front for controversy.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Noah Salzman <noah at salzman.net> wrote:
> ... what does the step-by-step process look like for making
> this change happen? I imagine there is more than one path: grass roots
> consensus building vs lobbying The Powers That Be?

The Powers That Be would be needed to change what search engines are
told to ignore. (Presumably in robots.txt.)

The grass roots would be needed to ramp up GA/FA effort considerably.
EN currently has about 5800 Good Articles (as rated), and 2400
Featured. Current article count is over 2.5 million.

sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GA_number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:FA_number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics