[WikiEN-l] Interesting article on restored copyrights in US works between...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 02:29:27 UTC 2009

In a message dated 1/13/2009 5:40:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
morven at gmail.com writes:

We were,  I thought, talking of photos that Corbis does not own the
rights to and  never did, and is certainly not the creator  of.>>

---------------------------------
If I take a photo of your photo, I own the photo that I created.  As  does
Corbis.
If they scan, upload, duplicate, xerox, or in any other way, create a new
physical item, even if it's an exact copy of some other item, they own that new
item.

You should not ethically use their item, without crediting them.
That is not the same as a copyright, and just because you make a copy
doesn't mean you create a new copyright to that copy.  It certainly has no  bearing
whatsoever on the state of the original item.

If someone wants to use a Corbis created copy, simply because it's easier
than trying to find another copy of that same thing, that Corbis didn't create,
then that's their problem for being lazy.

That doesn't however prevent anyone from linking to that image, describing
it, or using it under fair use.
However to simply take the image, use it, and neither give them credit, nor
state it was even from a Corbis repository would not be ethical.  However I
see no problem with adding a link and saying "Here's a picture that Corbis
copied, from a public source, showing President Bush eating a hot dog".

Convenience links don't mean "use it however you want".  They mean  "use it
but try to be fair to us".

Will Johnson

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)