[WikiEN-l] MUD history dissolving into the waters of time

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 21:59:43 UTC 2009

The long term solution for this particular topic is for people to
start writing books about MUDs. One or two  books by  reputable
publishers with a chapter on that MUD would have made deletion
impossible.  One or two anytime in the future will permit reinstating
the article.

If some Wikipedia admins want conventional sources, give them
conventional sources

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipedia at zog.org> wrote:
> 2009/1/10 Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
>
>> "Wikipedia editors should really have enough knowledge about their
>> subject matter to make choices based on good judgement rather than strict
>> adherence to flawed guidelines. Any guideline, law or contract doesn't
>> absolve one from using one's brain — these things are just frameworks for
>> handling worst-case scenarios better.
>>
>> http://www.unwesen.de/articles/wikipedia_on_mud_history
>>
>> This is what is frustrating to me. Although I am not recognized expert on
>> MUDs, I know enough that the decision made is obviously wrong, while
>> those making the decision seem entirely innocent of the subject.
>>

> Oh, we shouldn't worry that there's a hole in Wikipedia MUD coverage where
> Threshold used to be -- from the AfD:
>

>   - *KEEP*. Read all other MUDs in category, Threshold is definitely most
>   notable of them all with the most independent press coverage. [...]
>   - *Comment* WP:OTHERSTUFFEXISTS<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:OTHERSTUFFEXISTS>,
>      for one; we'll get to deleting those other MUD articles in due
> time, if it's
>      merited. [...]
>

> I don't know know about any of you, but when the first thing on the closing
> admin's talk page is "I have deleted over 1,700 pages on Wikipedia, through
> C:CSD <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C:CSD> and
> WP:AFD<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AFD>.
> A very small percentage of that, 2-3%, have been listed at deletion
> review<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:DRV>,
> and only a handful have been overturned -- and not a single one has been
> because of "corruption" or bad
> faith<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:AGF>.",
> I get a really bad feeling.
>
> Michel