[WikiEN-l] Rank hath its privileges

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 9 08:54:55 UTC 2009

Wilhelm Schnotz wrote:
> Bah forgive me, I was trying to be sarcastic. Did not work so well :S

People here can sometimes be victims of their own literalism.  One thing
about lynch mob members is that they believe they are ridding the world
of scum.  Such true believers do not understand sarcasm. ;-)
> To ray, you have a point, if it is a 3rd parties copyright, it is
> their fight. Generally though I don't like the thought of that ability
> being used to undelete stuff that is not helpful to this project and
> creates these sorts of distractions, but it is now his fight.

There's still a difference between undeleting material and taking
deleted material for use on an external site.  The Wall Street Journal
report is certainly a distractions, but volunteers who are driven by
their ideals to participate in the wikis tend to be more sensitive to
these distractions than is warranted.  Large organizations are
frequently subject to these critical reports, and soon learn that making
a fuss of them is a waste of everybody's time.

Ec