[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 01:50:45 UTC 2009

<<In a message dated 1/6/2009 5:33:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm writes:

The idea  that we have to wait a few years for secondary sources to sort
things out  before we write about a piece of news would be very
surprising to the  people who edit biographical articles about current
politicians and  articles about the latest release in the Harry Potter
series. The general  practice on wikipedia is simply that if material is
verifiable and a  consensus of editors on a page favors it, then it can
be included. Why  would academic articles be different - why would we
have to wait for  history to judge a new mathematical theorem, when we
don't have to wait  for history to judge some political scandal? >>

That's not quite the case.
"Verifiable" doesn't cover it all.  That is why we have long side
discussions on reliability and types of sources.
That is why the talk pages of V and RS are some of the longest in the
project.

New textbooks are being written *every year* on every topic  imaginable.
The idea that a person cannot find a new textbook on say "Differential
Equations" published in the last *five* years and therefore must refer to  Journal
articles simply to establish notability, and then to introduce 14 new
concepts, never published in any secondary text, is simply untenable.  The  greater
likelihood is that they didn't try :)

Will Johnson