[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 7 00:28:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 06:51:10PM -0500, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> I'm not comfortable with the idea that Wikipedia is going to be the  *source*
> for a new summary and synthesize of primary source material.
> That is the very position that we strove to exclude in the policy  language.

An issue here is that there is a continuum between "list of" articles
and "prose" articles, not a discrete spectrum.  On one hand, we
probably all agree that [[List of cathedrals]] is permitted to draw from
as many primary sources as desired provided that there are clear and
appropriate criteria for inclusion. That is, nobody would say we have to
directly copy our list of cathedrals from a list someone else has
compiled, or that it even has to cite secondaryu sources at all.

One step removed from this are articles like
[[List of cohomology theories]]. These, again, are permitted to draw
from primary sources at will, provided the standards for inclusion are
valid.

One step further are articles that consist of a series of summary-style
paragraphs on several related topics. These are essentially glorified
disambiguation pages. One example is [[Reduction (recursion theory)]].
In this particular case there are plenty of secondary sources, but
if we were to really tighten up the referencing some things would need
to be cited to journals. And none of the sources presently included
would be readily understandable by an untrained reader, apart from
the verification of direct quotes.

 - Carl