[WikiEN-l] flagged revvvs

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 05:09:33 UTC 2009

On 1/1/09, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> much more complicated one that most Wikipedians do not understand
> and which is much more likely to be confusing.

You can help Wikipedia by explaining it to other Wikipedians (unless
of course you're speaking for yourself).

> to try the complicated one first is playing technical games with the
> encyclopedia.

Oh, the one that lets you edit after 4 days, 10 edits, and 0 [[brownie points]].

I forgot who it was that recently drew an absurd parallel between BLP
issues and handgun fatalities, something to the effect of leaving
articles unprotected being comparable to "giving a child a loaded
gun".

Maybe so but an adult (or an "autoconfirmed" account) who has no
experience handling a loaded gun before (or driving a car, or whatever
you want to compare it to) isn't going to handle it much more safely
than a child. Sure they've "seen more of the world" but have no
experience specific to a potentially dangerous task.

On the other hand we could argue all day about the difference between
a waiting period for you at the pawn shop counter and a waiting period
for the bullet after it takes flight.

Personally I think it's a very important one!

—C.W.