[WikiEN-l] Wired: Wikipedia to Color Code Untrustworthy Text

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon Aug 31 01:44:38 UTC 2009

2009/8/31 Nathan Russell <windrunner at gmail.com>:
>> WikiTrust itself has been announced and then mentioned on this list
>> multiple times; in the absence of quotes in the article from Wikimedia
>> Foundation staff members, I'm not 100% convinced that a decision has
>> been made to roll it out to all users of the English Wikipedia.
>
> Which is what I meant, sorry.

The Wired article says it was derived from a UCSC story, which seems
to be the one here:

http://scicom.ucsc.edu/SciNotes/0901/pages/wiki/wiki.html

"After years of collaboration, WikiMedia bigwigs finally decided in
April 2009 to make WikiTrust available for all registered Wikipedia
users. The launch date for the new gadget has not been set, but de
Alfaro thinks it will go live in September or October. "

I cannot for the life of me find any reference to this on the
wikitrust website, on the mailing lists, etc - so, I dunno. "available
for" and "Gadget" makes it sound like an additional preferences thing,
which seems plausible - those tend to get installed pretty quietly.

I've copied this mail to Luca de Alfaro, who's posted here before, and
hopefully he can shed some light on what's actually going on! :-)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk