[WikiEN-l] WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 73, Issue 110

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Aug 30 16:52:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:19:05 -0700, stevertigo wrote:

> PS: Daniel, we know you read the digests, but would you please change
> the subject header in your replies to match the actual header of the
> thread? Thanks.

Yes, I try to, as part of the extensive copy-and-pasting I need to do
when beginning a reply, in order to get a properly trimmed quote with
an accurate attribution line; but, regrettably, I sometimes forget
that last step of changing the subject line.  This time, ironically,
I did it properly, but this merely resulted in replacing one digest
subject line with another!

My apologies for this netiquette failure, and I'll make my best
attempt to do better in the future.  Now, if only that would also be
true of the several people on this list who invariably fullquote
beneath their replies, sometimes building up a string of half a dozen
or more untrimmed list footers that digest readers need to scroll
through to get to the next message.  And then there's the weirdest
perversion of all, the properly trimmed quote interleaved with reply,
followed by an untrimmed fullquote; I call this "doublequoting", not
to be confused with the ASCII doublequote character with which I
surround the word "doublequoting" here.  I have more discussion of
such quoting abberations here:

http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Is there really, as alluded to in the replies last time I brought up
the issue, a mail program or webmail interface that silently adds
such a fullquote to the bottom of a message (whether or not the main
body of the message includes interleaved quotes and replies), giving
no indication to the writer that such an attachment is being made nor
any ability to trim or remove it?  Every mail interface I've ever
encountered makes the quoted material visible and editable, though
admittedly some (e.g., the iPhone) make it quite difficult to trim it
(though the addition of cut/copy/paste capability on the iPhone in
the 3.0 software upgrade a few months ago brought it from "almost
impossible" to "kind of hard but do-able").

--
== Dan ==