[WikiEN-l] "Future" templates compared to "spoiler" templates

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Fri Aug 28 01:24:47 UTC 2009

2009/8/26 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:

> The templates were compared to the "spoiler" templates. Not to drag
> all that up again, but I found the comparison interesting. The same
> basic point seemed to be made there, though, that such templates
> patronised our readers, who can be expected to realise that the
> article they are reading is about a future event (and if they can't,
> then that is more likely to be due to bad writing in the article, than
> the reader's comprehension skills).

My personal current favourite is at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_Constellation_missions

"This article or section documents a scheduled or expected spaceflight."
(...)
"As of early 2009, crewed flights for NASA Project Constellation
missions are planned to begin in around 2014."

On a related note, the spaceflight articles have some of the more
interesting variants on the "current events"/"future" templates I've
seen. In addition to the above, at the time of writing, we have:

"This article contains information regarding a space mission that is
scheduled to launch in the next 2 days."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-128

"This article contains information regarding a launch site that is
scheduled to launch in the next 2 days."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Space_Center_Launch_Complex_39

and my personal favourite:

"This article contains information regarding a rocket that has
recently been involved in a launch failure."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naro-1

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk