[WikiEN-l] Voting and "!voting", what's the difference?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 00:44:41 UTC 2009

2009/8/28 Tony Sidaway <tonysidaway at gmail.com>:
> It's 2009. Why is this happening?

Because voting is the only practical way of a large number of people
making a decision. The policies date back to when we were a small
project and could actually discuss things and reach a consensus, that
just isn't the case any more for anything but the smallest of issues
(like content disputes on individual articles, they still work by
consensus sometimes). In order to make reality fit policy we add a
"!". It's a kind of legal fiction, I suppose.