[WikiEN-l] [Wikimediauk-l] BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flaggedrevs

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Aug 25 23:53:56 UTC 2009

Carcharoth wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Evidently :-)
>>
>> And at the end of the program as well. After the interesting feature
>> on the Spanish Civil War legacy 70 years on. And the daily news round
>> up, it was time for Wikipedia!
>>
>> How do you think it went, David? I like the bit you said right at the
>> end about how it was a surprise that Wikipedia became so popular, but
>> though I've got it recorded on DVD, I haven't re-watched it yet. I
>> got the impression the presenter (Paxman must be on holiday) and the
>> Guardian guy were saying quite a bit, and you were wanting to correct
>> them on some points, but didn't get much of a chance.
>>
>> Carcharoth

The item seems to have been crammed in as a bit of an afterthought, and
although the Spanish Civil War legacy is interesting, it's not particularly
time-critical. It seems to have been rushed, and although the Guardian
commentator seems to have been largely supportive, it would have meant very
little to a previously uninformed viewer. Although it seems to have been
vaunted as a major shift in emphasis on WP, it should have been pointed out
more strongly as (a) a trial (b) based on previous experience at de:wp and
(c) not that much different from what already happens. I'm sorry David
didn't get the chance to put that forward, but then, that is journalism as
opposed to analysis. It remains to be seen whether they'll follow it up, but
of course, Parliament is on vacation and we are in the "silly season". I
suppose we should be grateful for some exposure, and not bad at that. ~~~~