[WikiEN-l] Who gets to flag? (BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:23:22 UTC 2009

2009/8/25 Joseph Reagle <reagle at mit.edu>:

> In speaking to the press today, one of the things I believe I heard in an intro segment on a live radio discussion was that WP would have professional editors flagging trusted content. I didn't get a chance to correct that, and I know who gets to review is still up in the air to some extent [1], but that's a likely source of confusion to the public apparently.

IME the problem is the use of the word "editor". We use it as in "tens
of thousands of volunteers", everyone else assumes we mean as in "the
boss who decides what goes in." It's a jargon versus English problem.

> [1]:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reviewers

Starting with all the admins. Presumably any active editor who isn't a
problem child will get it too, similar to rollback.

- d.