[WikiEN-l] Secondary sources

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 22:42:26 UTC 2009

Wikipedia is not the same as the academic world.

 From the point of view of an historian analyzing sources, a newspaper
is considered a primary source, and you will find them so classified
in any manual on doing research in history or any listing of sources
at the end of an historical book or article.   From the POV of
Wikipedia, we've been considering it a secondary source, which is the
way most people think of it.

what we call primary sources: is the archival material that an
historian also calls primary sources, but normally lists separately in
a bibliography.   if the reporter's notebooks are preserved, that's
also a primary source. The analysis of the differences between the
primary sources in attempting to reconstruct what happened is what
historians do. The articles & monographs other historians  publish
giving their analysis is what they consider the secondary sources.

Similarly, in science, the actual archival primary sources are, in a
sense, the lab notebooks--and they are preserved as such, for patents
and the like. But a primary scientific paper is the one reporting  the
work, and a secondary paper is a review.

The Wikipedia definition is a term of art at Wikipedia, used because
we need some way of differentiating between material which is edited,
and that which is not. The primary sources are the unedited reports.
As a newspaper is edited, its a secondary source.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.