[WikiEN-l] BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Aug 25 21:23:46 UTC 2009

2009/8/25 Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com>:
> As far as I can tell from IRC chats with some of the coders hanging
> out with Brion at Wikimania, a lot of this is still up in the air but
> this is still the closest thing to canon:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Flagged_protection_and_patrolled_revisions

Yep, that page is the closest thing there is to a canon summary of the
proposed configuration for en.wp. Generally next steps are:

1) Finalize setup of
http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page with article
import from en.wp;

2) Test proposed configuration (UI and workflows) and make necessary fixes;

3) Rollout on en.wp.

3) should ideally happen within 8 weeks or so, but that depends in
part on people's experience during the testing period, and the extent
to which we have to make further revisions to the extension.

The FlaggedRevs extension has been used in many of our wikis,
including the second-largest Wikipedia, for more than a year. However,
contrary to what's been reported in some media, the community has had
very thoughtful conversations about the ideal setup for en.wp, which
isn't going to be the same as the one used for de.wp, and we want to
make sure that the software properly supports it without causing
confusion, especially in light of our general efforts to make
Wikipedia easier to use and easier to contribute to.

WiFi in Buenos Aires willing, I'll try to whip up a summary for the
Wikimedia blog at blog.wikimedia.org tonight to help reduce some of
the confusion.
--
Erik Möller