[WikiEN-l] Secondary sources

Andrew Turvey andrewrturvey at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:49:34 UTC 2009

Not quite. The first publication can be a secondary source, for instance if the New York Times publishes an article on a car accident. A primary source is something like a census return or, in this case, a witness statement.

The difference is that you have someone in between the source - the journalist in this case - sifting, analysing, compiling and interpreting the primary sources.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:PSTS for more details.