[WikiEN-l] SmartWikiSearch, a similarity search engine for Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 00:40:00 UTC 2009

In a message dated 8/23/2009 4:53:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca writes:

> The search for "bees" and "flowers" suggests "pollination". I do not see
> anything mindless about that. That is a human association>>

-----------------

You're not understanding me.  An article discussing bees and mentioning
that they pollinate flowers IS a human association.  I didn't say it wasn't.
However the meta-network of *all* such associations to the nth degree of
relatedness is not something a human can encompass in one bite.  That's one
thing.

What I was stating is that this meta-network itself, is created by a
computer algorithm, which ITSELF has no mind.  It has no idea what the terms mean,
or refer to, or imply.  It only knows that they are associated in some way.
 It creates this meta-network and ranks the associations in a mindless way,
i.e. without comprehension.  That's what I meant.

W.J.