[WikiEN-l] Flagged Revisions

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 15:17:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Ray Saintonge<saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> What's so bad about encouraging howto information?  I'm sure that a lot
> of people would find such practical information very useful.

Perhaps so, but it's not in tune with the idea of an encyclopedia,
which is what we're all supposed to be striving for.

I'd really hate to go to [[curry]] and see recipes. The sorts of
spices that are often included yes. But not cooking times.

If I look up [[engine]] I want to know how it functions. But I don't
want to see a tutorial on how to deal with specific problems.

Although I suppose there's a possible claim of hypocrisy here. Many of
our medical articles include a section on treatment, which I guess is
a form of How To.

And I just happened upon [[suicide methods]] which perhaps is the last
word, almost literally, on How To do something.