[WikiEN-l] Annoying hatnotes

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 05:31:51 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Tony Sidaway<tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote:

> Far worse than hatnotes, I'd say, are the ever-more-garish templates
> we now use for matters such as tagging for NPOV, cleanup, and so on.
> In my opinion we were better off when such templates produced a single
> line of italics akin to a hatnote.  These pastel-colored boxes we've
> been struggling with for the past four or five years are horrible.

I have some sympathy with that. On the other hand, as both an editor
and Wikipedia user/reader, I find the garish boxes a spur to action. I
feel compelled to resolve the issue so I can get rid of the ugly box
and put in the edit summary "now resolved" or somesuch. I think if the
garishness was not there perhaps I wouldn't feel so motivated.