[WikiEN-l] Annoying hatnotes

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 23 01:02:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 8/22/2009 12:42:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> carcharothwp at googlemail.com writes:
>

>> *a département of France
>> *a French river
>> *a French city
>> *the French name for Vienna
>
> -----------------------------
>
> The Council of Vienne.
> Also apparently Vienne is a surname, I'm sure we can find SOME obscure
> person named Vienne....

There is, as you say, a Council of Vienne:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Vienne

That's not strictly disambiguation, as those linking that should link
to the whole thing.

The organist someone was thinking of is Vierne:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Vierne

But there are various other references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avitus_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_of_Vienne

And more to the point, there is this person:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Vienne

He is not even that obscure either.

Because people are often quoted in books and other sources only by
their surname, or initials and surname, it is essential to
disambiguate surnames or have a surnames page, so that clinches it.

There is also another river called Vienne:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienne_(Normandy)

All the above found by using the Wikipedia search function.

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderius_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girart_de_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christiane_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Constantine_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ado_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_cruiser_Jean_de_Vienne

Note that that last link is something named after the first link.

Still more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysius_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamertus_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zachary,_Bishop_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_II,_Dauphin_of_Vienne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivier_de_Vienne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_Vienne

That last one is an interesting example of the French term for Vienna
ending up in common usage in the USA!

I suspect people could spend a lifetime disambiguating Wikipedia pages
and links.

That is if they don't get overwhelmed by the number of French commumes
named "XYZ, Vienne"... (I had to scroll through literally hundreds of
these, and Christiane Vienne, the admittedly obscure Belgian
politician, was on the fifth or sixth page of results). There may even
be some French places called Vienne-something, sometimes called
Vienne, but that really needs some French person to sort that out.

A good tip when disambiguating terms from other languages is to see if
the other language encyclopedia has done it already.

Et voila:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienne

Interesting seeing how they've tackled this.

Now I'm off to dump all this on "Vienne (disambiguation)" and then
I'll go and moan at WikiProject Disambiguation about how one can't be
expected go through all the 500+ links pointing at "Vienne" to see if
any should be pointing to the rivers or people or city or the other
stuff. Hopefully someone there will give tips on how to filter out the
links from templates, otherwise I may just have to link "Vienne" from
the templates using some hacked-together redirect, wait for "what
links here" to update, and then sort out what is left.

Carcharoth