[WikiEN-l] SmartWikiSearch, a similarity search engine for Wikipedia

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sat Aug 22 18:24:39 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried this out the other day; it's a very cool idea, but by and
> large, it seems that this hacker doesn't have enough CPU power to
> extract the really good wikilinks, the ones that aren't already linked
> inside the article. (eg. if I try it on [[Encyclopedia of the Brethren
> of Purity]], I have to go all the way down to find a suggestion which
> isn't already linked by the article.)
>
> Perhaps in a decade we'll have enough computing power on the servers
> that this could be a plugin - we'd then have auto-generated See Alsos,
> which would be really cool.
>
> --
> gwern

A fancy technique called Latent Dirichlet Allocation can be used to find
links that aren't already linked in the document themselves. I did this for
a class project. Here is an expert from the paper which also shows you the
latent connections it found for the Simple article on hippies.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/meta/2/25/LDA-Wiki-Search.png

I note that Google has released parallel lda so its not feasible to run it
on all of wikipedia using an ordinary Beowulf cluster.
http://code.google.com/p/plda/