[WikiEN-l] Flagged Revisions

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Aug 21 14:43:53 UTC 2009

"David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fbad4e140908210704u76f71a4fid58ea2ed952f991d at mail.gmail.com...
> 2009/8/21 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/8/20 Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com>:
>
>>> I notice the test wiki has the categories "Usefulness",
>>> "Presentation", and "Neutrality", while the extension documentation
>>> uses four example categories, "Reliability", "Completeness", "NPOV",
>>> and "Presentation". I hope something more specific than "Usefulness"
>>> is what gets deployed on en-wiki.
>
>> I agree. The only appropriate response to "How useful is this
>> article?" is "Useful for what?".
>

> For the now-largely-abandoned article validation feature, here's a
> suggested list:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/En_validation_topics#Consolidated_plan
>
> The list there is:
>
> Overall quality
> Neutral Point Of View
> Factual accuracy
> Quality of references
> Completeness/conciseness
> Quality of lead section
> Images and illustrations
> Grammar, spelling, word choice, wikification and layout
> What were you looking for?
> Did you find what you were looking for?
> Is this the article you expected at this title?
> How relevant is the topic to a general encyclopedia?
>
> Obviously, that would be just a bit of a wall of text and probably not
> all of those should be deployed in the first instance :-)

The whole thing, methinks would be on a RATE tab. "What were you looking
for?" is a search box with your current search in it. I do not think anybody
asks all of those questions unless they contribute. If they answer in the
positive, then maybe a template should disappear. If they answer in the
negative, then maybe it should appear. Of course, if they edit, that might
be a quick way of learning which templates apply, so the user could place
the template closer to where it belongs in an article, or just follow links
in the template to directions on making improvements. Questions like that
should normally offer only a preview of the article, an edit window, and
once confirmed, a save button. In some languages, save buttons are not
activated until a user has done the preview.