[WikiEN-l] Request to Wikipedians for BBC Documentary

Kat Walsh mindspillage at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 00:35:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Luna<lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM, <wjhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> OK the other side of the argument is "Wikipedia is not paper".  That
>> is, presumably, that we have a virtually unlimited amount of space in
>> which to describe whatever we want.
>>

> Indeed. Our size limitations are not physical, but logical. We're no longer
> limited by the number of paper pages one can bind together, nor by the
> number of bound volumes one can distribute, but rather by more abstract
> concepts of readability, usability, maintainability, and so on.
>
> I've been meaning for a while, now, to write a project-space essay
> encouraging a shift from "notability" to "maintainability" as a primary
> inclusion guideline. Lack of suitable sourcing makes maintenance difficult,
> because it's that much harder for us to be sure of accuracy and NPOV. If
> nothing else, the two ideas might complement each other well.

I wrote a post... er, wow, 4 years ago... on why I am a "mergist"
saying just about the same thing: "Wiki is not paper" doesn't mean
there should be a page for everything; it means there doesn't *have*
to be a page for everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage/mergism

I suppose my position is still similar; I don't think everything needs
its own page as long as it's still easy to find what you're looking
for.

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat at wikimedia.org * Personal: kat at mindspillage.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage * (G)AIM:Mindspillage
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net * email for phone