[WikiEN-l] Annoying hatnotes

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Aug 19 16:59:07 UTC 2009

2009/8/19 Phil Nash <pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk>:

>>> "For the SpongeBob character, see List of characters in SpongeBob
>>> SquarePants#Plankton"?
>
> It can get worse than that! I encountered, on [[Pol Pot]], {{seealso|Paul
> Potts}}, and vice versa. The IP addresses resolved to [[CERN]] of all
> places.

I still hold the best example I've seen of this was on [[Beirut]]:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Beirut&oldid=21810147

''For the drinking game, see [[Beer Pong]]''

...yeah.

[[Squirrel]] also used to have a hatnote directing people to something
like "Squirrels in Scientology", of all things. We actually got people
writing with complaints about that one, if memory serves.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk