[WikiEN-l] Policies, notability et al, was Request to Wikipedians for BBC Documentary

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 01:11:35 UTC 2009

Not that it's a single source. The problem is that it's a single
outmoded source, never really balanced and NPOV, and by now wholly
unreliable in almost all subjects, the ancient world included. About
95% of it was written over a century ago, and there is almost nothing
for which new information and new interpretations have made the
existing version inappropriate as the base for a modern encyclopedia.
Essentially all text from there needs to be removed, except for some
quotations to show how things were looked at historically,  and the
relevant portions or articles redone from what would now be considered
reliable sources. To even know what parts can be rescued requires a
sound knowledge of the subject  and its development, and cannot be
done mechanically. The situation is exactly comparable to what it
would be if that EB had simply reprinted Diderot's 1770 Encyclopedie.
It would have been a laughing stock to have presented that as a
current work, and so with our articles derived from it.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.