[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia reaches 3 millionth article

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 18 21:46:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Ray Saintonge<saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

<snip>

> The problem with collecting all these is the space they take up.  I've
> just acquired a [[Enciclopedia universal ilustrada europeo-americana]]
> with supplements to 1980 for $1.00 per volume :-) ... plus shipping :-(
> . I have also been offered [[Enciclopedia Italiana]] and [[La Grande
> Encyclopédie]] on the same basis.  This is about 200 volumes! Finding
> place for them is a significant challenge.

Goodness. Yes. That is a large number of volumes.

Why not scan them and "store" them at wikisource? Or are these modern
encyclopedias rather than old ones?

Scanning drawings and pictures from old encyclopedias allows for some
other possibilities as well. I've asked someone to hang on to a set of
old books that have some lovely colour drawings of European
landscapes. Three volumes of "Picturesque Europe" by Cassell. Not in
good condition. If I had a full set (seems to be about 10 volumes) and
they were in good condition, they would be worth a few hundred pounds.
Published in around 1870.

Carcharoth