[WikiEN-l] When an article is in full protection.

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 21:08:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Luna<lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not all protection is in response to edit warring. First example to come to
> mind: high-use templates.

FlaggedRevs would work better for that, likewise high-use images, of
which flags (in the heraldic sense, i.e. those which swing from a
pole) would be a good example.

Rumor has it this extension is coming soon a wiki near you, like this
weekend maybe[1], but I'll believe it when I see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales/Archive_47#Flagged_Revisions_update_-_requesting_an_update_from_Jimmy

What we'd really need is some kind of god-parameter to indicate
whether we want to transclude the stable or bleeding-edge version of a
template or image.

Of course I don't expect much empathy from those who haven't had the
misfortune to design a template and then permanently be locked out of
it.

—C.W.

[1] Preserved for posterity in case this falls down the memory hole:

"I fully support the implementation which garnered the consensus of
the community and have asked that it be turned on as soon as possible.
I feel that this implementation is not strong enough, but it is a good
start. Once the tool is technically enabled, I think that policy will
move over time to the appropriate balance, just as protection and
semi-protection did. I believe it likely that I will be for a long
time in favor of cautious expansion of the use of the tool for more
articles - but I respect the concerns people have about it (the length
of the backlog in German Wikipedia has been too often too long, in my
opinion). I think we are simply waiting now on Brion. He has suggested
"before Wikimania". I hope that's right.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 10:35, 2
June 2009 (UTC)"