[WikiEN-l] Request to Wikipedians for BBC Documentary

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:39:22 UTC 2009

2009/8/18 Cathy Edwards <Cathy.Edwards at bbc.co.uk>:
> This is all so interesting - thanks.
>
> I think I have a good idea why BLP are a hot topic of debate in this
> area, but why do you think fiction is contentious - because it's in
> danger of unbalancing the encyclopedia?

Good question. I think it is because fictional topics are very
polarising when it comes to the question of how interesting they are.
Fans of that particular work find every aspect of it extremely
interesting, people that don't watch that show/read that series of
books/whatever find it all extremely boring. There isn't much of a
middle ground. It is difficult for the extremes to move towards the
middle when there isn't anyone there, and that is what is required to
reach a consensus.