[WikiEN-l] An expert's perspective - Tim Bray on editing the XML article

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 18:27:10 UTC 2009

In a message dated 8/14/2009 8:58:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
abd at lomaxdesign.com writes:

> No, they may be expert, but biased, or not good at explaining how
> they know what they know. Absolutely, the best experts can do this,
> and will. But it can also be a lot of work, and many experts won't
> want to put in that work, because, after all, they know the fact so
> well. So we get the best results with interaction between experts and
> non-experts.>>
---------------------

I'm glad you finally agree with me :)
Everyone can edit.  Experts and non-experts together.
Anyone can find a source stating that "cats have retractable claws".
Supposed experts should be able to find that souce faster.

I'm not really interested in an expert *explaining* anything to me.  I'm
interested in that expert finding the souces that *back up* their words with
published third-party authorities.

If they can't do that function, then I agree that they should not be
editing.  You might find 200 online sources that state that Mary of Parma was born
in 956, but I can show that none of these are realiable sources.  My own
opinion on when she was born has nothing to do with anything, sources are what
matters.

Will Johnson