[WikiEN-l] An expert's perspective - Tim Bray on editing the XML article

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 05:49:06 UTC 2009

Because you keep assuming that the expert would say "this is so" and if
anyone asks how, they would say "believe me".  But that is not how we
should be functioning.

The correct functioning would be that the expert would say "this is so"
and someone asks how and then the expert provide a source which states
what they claimed.

An expert editor is not a source, the have to edit using sources, just
like anyone else does.  Their personal opinions have and should have
nothing to do with building articles neutrally.  Neutrality is not the
result of a single editor, it is the emergent condition of the cloud
editing concept.  The final result of hundreds of edits by a dozen
editors is neutral.

If an "expert" cannot provide an adequate source for something they are
claiming, then they are not an expert at all.  Just a pseudo-expert.

Perhaps if you gave a concrete example from a specific article it might
help to see to what you're referring and how to address the issue.