[WikiEN-l] "Wikipedia approaches its limits" - Technology Guardian

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:08:57 UTC 2009

The 'limit' that's being reached is the article count; so reverts
aren't the question.

The real question is whether the AFD process is working correctly,
particularly for new articles, now that the low-hanging fruit is gone.

I've personally seen several of my referenced articles that in all
honesty didn't violate a single policy get AFDd; one was 'merged' in
40 minutes of the review starting by the admin who also voted in the
review, and then he unilaterally decided the results of review was
something that not even he voted for!?!

That marks a new low point for the AFD process I think;

(FWIW it got overturned at DRV, but then deleted anyway, but not for
violating policy that I could point you to...)

Right now the AFD process never looks for potential in articles and
never looks at violations of policy, it's simply a popularity contest
for articles; articles that haven't been created yet are inevitably
less popular topics, so are even more likely to get deleted out of
hand.

That's not the way it's supposed to work, but that's the way it does work. ;-)

--
-Ian Woollard

"All the world's a stage... but you'll grow out of it eventually."