[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 13 10:03:58 UTC 2009

Surreptitiousness wrote:
> I'd offer the view that an admin who gets involved as one party in a
> long series of trolling may not be suited to the role either.  It could
> be taken to suggest the admin has an issue with knowing when to step
> back, or possibly even too much self-belief in their own righteousness
> to be bordering on arrogance. Both of these would indicate an
> unsuitability to the role.
I'd agree to the extent that there is a point at which any admin should
be looking for the right kind of help (outside admin assistance, from
people who are clearly uninvolved neutrals). It is not a good sign if an
admin ploughs on unaided, in a difficult situation.

<snip>
> Any admin who thinks their
> solution is the only way is wrong, and any arbitration committee that
> thinks Wikipedia would be worse off losing an admin is wrong. We all
> live in the real world, we all acknowledge there are times we get chewed
> out even though we did everything right, just because sometimes that's
> the way the cookie crumbles. Sometimes you take one on the chin to keep
> up appearances. Life is full of hard decisions, and Wikipedia isn't
> going to be any different.  We need people on the arbitration committee
> who are aware that justice can't only be done, it needs to be seen to be
> done. The last part is the harder part, and the committee has to my mind
> often failed in that sense by being, as you say, sympathetic with
> admins.
I can't go into private discussions I know about, obviously. I've
several times made public my view that we should give admins plenty of
discretion, and balance that by a small number of de-sysops. So I agree
pretty much with what you say. "Sympathy" needs to be in the way of a
full understanding of the job description, not in continuing admins who
really don't match that description. The counter-argument, though, is
that the "community" will not accept certain tough decisions; in other
words there will be some adverse comment. Sometimes there is much more
to these situations than meets the eye.

Charles

Charles