[WikiEN-l] An expert's perspective - Tim Bray on editing the XML article

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 00:41:59 UTC 2009

*That* someone is an expert in field xyz is not a WP:COI, although some
may see it as a conflict-of-interest (in lower case).  For something to
be a conflict of interest in-project doesn't just require that a person
has a strong opinion on it, or a history of deep knowledge of the topic.

Rather it requires that they are something close and personal to *gain*
 from editing it in some particular fashion.  And that that gain can't
simply be academic acclaim or high-fiving from their peers.  Rather
that would be considered the normal rational response to a great
article.

Trying to position WP:COI as a way to attack experts merely for
participating in the writing of articles about their field would be
suicidal to the project.

Will Johnson