[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:54:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Ray Saintonge<saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> George Herbert wrote:
>> You're right - a real "proper" survey would survey new users, and then
>> users who came and then left.  But finding the latter seems hrad.
>>
>> I think it's unlikely we can put the effort required in to do a proper
>> statistical survey of the newly departed userbase, and suggest that we
>> assume that more experienced people's impressions are roughly
>> accurate.  That is subject to challenge or someone actually doing the
>> recently departed userbase survey and getting most appropriate info on
>> the table.
>>

> A significant portion of the newly departed are likely feeling pissed
> off or tired.  What incentive is there for them to participate in such a
> survey?

I don't disagree - but if we REALLY REALLY want to know for sure why
people are leaving, as opposed to making informed guesses based on
surveys of our usual suspects, we have to go ask them anyways.

I do not know if it's worth trying - I think the informed guesses are
probably pretty useful - but understanding that the informed guess is
a working theory and not necessarily ground truth, as we go forwards,
is potentially important.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com