[WikiEN-l] Civility poll results

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 12 18:50:29 UTC 2009

Marc Riddell wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Marc Riddell<michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> To be fully productive, to reach its greatest
>>> potential and to achieve its stated goals a workplace's culture cannot vary.
>>> To work, to create, at their full potential, a person must be able to focus
>>> on that: the work. They cannot be constantly looking over their shoulder, or
>>> live with the anxiety that an unstable, unpredictable workplace can produce.
>>>
> on 8/12/09 1:09 PM, Carcharoth at carcharothwp at googlemail.com wrote:
>

>> I think it is a balance. Have too uniform a culture and the variety of
>> our output will suffer, both in terms of those willing to edit here
>> (imagine the people who edit Wikipedia trying to get along in a normal
>> workplace) and the diversity of the articles. There is also an
>> argument that a homogenous workplace would work against 'neutral point
>> of view'.
>>

> Once again, Carcharoth, I am not speaking about points of view regarding
> specific subjects. We can disagree to hell and gone about something and
> still maintain a mutual courtesy and respect for each other as human beings.

Not sure whether to cite Dilbert or the Beach Boys here. To stop people
"constantly looking over their shoulder" it would certainly help to
place them in a 360-degree cubicle. To wish oneself  the best of all
cultural worlds sounds a bit like dreaming that "they all could be
California girls". In any case the monoculture as an ideal does no
favours to Wikipedia, whatever the pedigree of [[Taylorism]] and
[[Fordism]] in the for-profit sector; dull but efficient is not really
the way to go, either. "For well you know that it's a fool who plays it
cool/By making his world a little colder." Think the Beatles win this one.

Charles